The third leg of the FINA/HOSA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup 2016 was held today, Saturday June 18, in Lake Balaton in Hungary.
Italy's open water aces Simone Ruffini and Rachele Bruni were the winners of this event in Lake Balaton, the venue for the the Open Water competition for next year's FINA World Championships (FINA's other five disciplines will be staged in the capital city, Budapest).
Ruffini, who ranked seventh in Kazan last summer, touched home in 1h50m25s04 this morning, while Germany's Andreas Washburger was one second behind (1h50m26s79) and Richard Weinberger of Canada grabbed the bronze medal in 1h50m27s17.
Rachele Bruni was the best in 1h59m58s01. She was followed by USA's Haley Anderson (+0.11), while Isabelle Harle (GER) placed third on the podium (+0.13). The three athletes competed in Kazan and respectively ranked fourth (Bruni), seventh (Harle) and ninth (Andrerson).
MEDALLISTS IN LAKE BALATON (HUN)
1. Simone Ruffini (ITA) 1h50m25s04; 2. Andreas Washburger (GER) 1h50m26s79; 3. Richard Weinberger (CAN) 1h50m27s17
1. Rachele Bruni (ITA) 1h59m58s01;Haley Anderson (USA) 2h00m09s81; Isabelle Harle (GER) 2h00m11s54
FINA/HOSA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup calendar
1. Patagones-Viedma (ARG) February 7, 2016
2. Abu Dhabi (UAE) February 26, 2016
3. Balatonfured (HUN) June 18, 2016
4. Lac St-Jean (CAN) July 28, 2016
5. Lac Megantic (CAN) August 13, 2016
6. Chun'An (CHN) October 9, 2016
7. Honk Kong (HKG) October 15, 2016