Argentina's Damian Blaum and Italy's Barbara Pozzobon were the best at this Sunday's 57km race in Santa Fe, Argentina, respectively winning the men and women's first races of the FINA Open Water Grand Prix 2017.
Blaum touched home in 8h28m16s14, while Italy's Edoardo Stochino took silver in 8h33m50s43 and Evgenij Pop Acev of the Republic of Macedonia closed the podium clocking 8h33m50s75.
In the women's race, Italy's Barbara Pozzobon and Alice Franco were the fastest yesterday, in 8h53m42s79 and 9h01m20s70 respectively. Aurelie Muller of France took bronze with a time of 9h05m13s68.
Italy is off to a flying start this season and already counts seven medals won over the weekend in the inaugural legs of the FINA/HOSA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup and the FINA Open Water Grand Prix, both in Argentinian waters.
The next race of the circuit will take place in Lac St Jean, Canada, on July 29.
Medallists in Santa Fe (ARG)
1. Damian Blaum (ARG) 8h28m16s14, 2. Edoardo Stochino (ITA) 8h33m50s43, 3. Evgenij Pop Acev (MKD) 8h33m50s75
1. Barbara Pozzobon (ITA) 8h53m42s79, 2. Alice Franco (ITA) 9h01m20s70, 3. Aurelie Muller (FRA) 9h05m13s68
OW Grand Prix 2017 Calendar
1. Santa Fe Coronda (ARG) - February 5
2. Lac St Jean (CAN) - July 29
3. Ohrid Lake (MKD) - August 19
4. Capri-Napoli (ITA) - September 3