After six legs in South America, North America and Europe, the 2019 edition of the FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series concluded in Capri / Napoli (ITA) this weekend (Saturday September 7) as Italy established itself as the dominating nation of both the men and women's races.
The Italian swimmers secured both gold and silver medals at stake on Saturday. Andrea Bianchi swam the 36km distance in 6h48m32s11 to claim gold in front of teammate Francesco Ghettini who clocked a time of 6h48m32s22. The men's podium was completed by North Macedonia's veteran Evgenij Pop Acev (6h53m49s00).
Barbara Pozzobon was the best in the female competition with a time of 7h25m31s00, while Alice Franco settled for silver touching home in 7h25m42s00 and Argentina's Romina Imwinkelriedt came third (7h25m54s00).
The 2019 Series is now over and will return next year with three legs already announced: Santa Fe (ARG) on February 2, Lac St Jean (CAN) on July 25 and Ohrid (MKD) on August 22.
Medallists in Capri / Napoli (ITA):
1. Andrea Bianchi (ITA) 6h48m32s11; 2. Francesco Ghettini (ITA) 6h48m32s22; 3. Evgenij Pop Acev (MKD) 6h53m49s00
1. Barbara Pozzobon (ITA) 7h25m31s00; 2. Alice Franco (ITA) 7h25m42s00; 3. Romina Imwinkelriedt (ARG) 7h25m54s00
FINA UltraMarathon Swim Series 2019 Calendar:
1. Santa Fe (ARG), February 3
2. Rosario (ARG), February 9
3. Lac St-Jean (CAN), July 27
4. Ohrid Lake (MKD), August 24
5. Novi (CRO), August 31
6. Capri/Napoli (ITA), September 7