In order to start a procedure on change of sport nationality of an athlete, FINA needs to receive the following documents:
Before you submit your request for changing the sport nationality, please make sure that you fulfil all conditions as per FINA rule GR 2.5 and 2.6.
Please note that:
- All documents must be in English or French (or translated)
- All documents shall be marked with the appropriate document number (i.e. Doc.1) as per the list below
- All confirmations, letters and statements shall be in a letterhead with the name of the organisation, body or entity and signed by its legal representative.
New NF official request of the new National Federation
Doc. 1 Official request of the new National Federation: an official request from the new National Federation for changing the sport nationality of the athlete as per the attached Official request template.
Download Official request - Template
Doc. 2 Citizenship: a copy of the athlete’s passport of the country of the new National Federation.
Doc. 3 Local authority certificate: a certified registration of an address issued by a local authority which states exactly where and the date (day/month/year) since when the athlete is living in the country of the new National Federation.
The athlete must have resided in the country at least twelve (12) months prior to his first representation for the new National Federation.
Doc. 4 Proof of residence documents: school registration confirmation and/or results, confirmation of the school, employment contract, confirmation of the employer, driver license, bank statements, utility bills, declaration under oath from the landlord of the athlete, rent cheques, affidavit of residency, tax decision, etc. which establish that the athlete resides in the country of the new National Federation during the last twelve (12) months of residence.
Download Affidavit of Residence
Doc. 5 Club’s confirmation: a confirmation from a club of the new National Federation which states the date (day/month/year) since when the athlete is an active member.
Doc. 6 New National Federation’s confirmation: a confirmation from the new National Federation which states the date (day/month/year) since when the athlete is a member.
Doc. 7 Confirmation by the former National Federation of the last representation with the former National Federation: a confirmation from the former National Federation with the date (day/month/year) of the athlete’s last representation with the former National Federation.
Doc. 8 Non-representation with new National Federation: a statement from the new National Federation that the athlete has never represented the new National Federation in international events in the last twelve (12) months.
Doc. 9 Official club results list: official result lists from national, regional or international club competitions in which the athlete has participated for his “new” club for the last twelve (12) months. In the case of Water Polo it would be the game protocols from national, regional or international club competitions, and as many as possible in order to cover the twelve (12) months period.
→ Please highlight the athletes’ name, club’s name and date of the competition in the official club results list.
N.B. Any application for change of affiliation must be approved by FINA.
If you fulfil the requirements as per the FINA General Rules, GR 2.5 to 2.7 INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS below, and you desire to apply for a sport nationality change, please send your request for changing sport nationality and all required documentation to: email@example.com
NB. All confirmations, letters and statements shall be considered as true and correct and any false statement could result in denial of the submitted request, and disciplinary proceedings with sanction of warning, fine, suspension or expulsion. The signatory person, the athlete and the potential new national federation understand that all information on the documents are subject to investigation and authorize FINA to make any inquiry of any person, firm or agency relevant to the documents, and further authorize any person, firm or agency to provide information as may be requested by FINA. The signatory person, the athlete and the potential new national federation hereby authorize to release information to FINA concerning the change of sport nationality. The signatory person, the athlete and the potential new national federation certify that they have completed and read the documents and know and understand the contents of it, and confirm that the information contained in it is true and complete.
FINA GENERAL RULES: GR 2 INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
GR 2.5 When a competitor or competition official represents his/her country in a competition, he/she shall be a citizen, whether by birth or naturalisation, of the nation he/she represents, provided that a naturalised citizen shall have lived in that country for at least one year prior to that competition. Competitors, who have more than one nationality according to the laws of the respective nations must choose one “Sport Nationality” and be affiliated to one Member only.
GR 2.6 Any competitor or competition official changing his affiliation from one national governing body to another must have resided in the territory of and been under the jurisdiction of the latter for at least twelve months prior to his first representation for the country.
GR 2.6.1 Proof of Residence
1) Residence means the place/country where the competitor or competition official “lives and sleeps” and where he/she can be found in the majority of days of the year.
2) The proof of residence must include documentation establishing the applicant resides in the country. In this regard the official school or university confirmation or employment contract or any other relevant documentation may constitute evidence.
3) Certified registration of an address in the "new" country for at least twelve (12) months prior to first representation of the competitor or competition official for the "new" country must be sent to FINA.
GR 2.6.2 Proof of Jurisdiction
1) Certified membership in a club of the new country
2) Confirmation from the FINA Member of that country
3) Official result lists from national championships, national, regional or international club competitions in which the applicant has participated for his/her “new” club during the GR 2.6 requested time
4) Applicants cannot represent any of the countries during the “transfer period”
GR 2.7 Any application for change of affiliation must be approved by FINA.