PR72 - Asian legs of the series also belong to Lurz and Okimoto
The FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup 2009 has moved on to Asia, where China recently staged the eighth and ninth out of twelve races in this year’s series. The big 10km winners continue to be world champion Thomas Lurz (GER) in the men’s field, and Poliana Okimoto (BRA) among women. Lurz and Okimoto triumphed at both of the most recent races, which took place on Saturday, September 26 in Shantou (CHN), and before that on Sunday, September 20 in An Chun (CHN). Lurz has now garnered an incredible seven gold medals on the circuit, which he aims to win, while Okimoto has picked up six golds as well as two silver medals.
Some of the minor medallists in both races are also familiar faces this season. The women’s bronze winner, world champion Angela Maurer (GER), has now picked up five bronze and one silver medal during the series, while Allan Do Carmo (BRA) has swept three bronze and a silver this season. With her medal-winning performances in Asia, Nadine Reichert (née Pastor) has earned two silver and a bronze.
Medallists from Shantou (CHN), September 26:
1. Thomas Lurz (GER) 2:03:15
2. Allan Do Carmo (BRA) 2:03:17.22
3. Fran Crippen (USA) 2:03:17.92
1. Poliana Okimoto (BRA) 2:12:30
2. Nadine Reichert (GER) 2:12:50
3. Angela Maurer (GER) 2:12:54
Medallists from An Chun (CHN), September 20:
1. Thomas Lurz (GER) 1:55:10
2. Abrosimov Kirill (RUS) 1:55:12
3. Evgeny Drattsev (RUS) 1:55:16
1. Poliana Okimoto (BRA) 2:05:48
2. Nadine Reichert (GER) 2:05:49
3. Angela Maurer (GER) 2:05:51
The remaining races of the FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup 2009: October 4, 2009 in Hong Kong (HKG), October 17, 2009 in Dubai (UAE), and October 21, 2009 in Sharjah (UAE).