PR14 - “FINA Aquatics World Magazine” chooses the best in FINA sports
The “FINA Aquatics World Magazine” has elected the best athletes of the decade in all aquatic disciplines. The official FINA Magazine has launched this election process in February 2010: the 202 FINA National Member Federations and the most appreciated aquatic experts could vote for the best ones between 2000 and 2009.
The upcoming issue of the “FINA Aquatics World Magazine”, with all the details of the voting, will be published this week. Just as in the pool, 14-time Olympic champion Michael Phelps (USA) won in the men’s swimming quite convincingly (collecting 75% of the votes). Among women, Inge de Bruijn (NED) – owner of eight Olympic medals – just edged out four-time Olympic champion Yana Klochkova (UKR).
FINA Aquatics World Magazine – The Best of the Decade (2000-2009)
(First three in each discipline. Please click on the underlined names to read the articles)
1. Michael Phelps (USA), 2. Grant Hackett (AUS), 3. Pieter van den Hoogenband (NED)
1. Inge de Bruijn (NED), 2. Yana Klochkova (UKR), 3. Natalie Coughlin (USA)
1. Dmitry Sautin (RUS), 2. Tian Liang (CHN), 3. He Chong (CHN)
1. Jingjing Guo (CHN), 2. Wu Minxia (CHN), 3. Yulia Pakhalina (RUS)
1. Anastasia Davydova (RUS), 2. Virginie Dedieu (FRA), 3. Olga Brusnikina (RUS)
Open water swimming
1. Thomas Lurz (GER), 2. Petar Stoychev (BUL), 3. Maarten van der Weijden (NED)
1. Larisa Ilchenko (RUS), 2. Edith van Dijk (NED), 3. Britta Kamrau (GER)
1. Tamas Kasas (HUN), 2. Peter Biros (HUN), 3. Aleksandar Sapic (SRB)
1. Brenda Villa (USA), 2. Giusy Malato (ITA), 3. Danielle de Bruijn (NED)