DWS 2014 - Beijing Day 2 Preview
Preview Diving Women's 3m Springboard
• China have won this event 26 of the previous 27 times at a World Series meeting.
• The only exception was the meeting in Changzhou in 2009, when Sharleen Stratton (AUS) was victorious.
• The best Chinese diver in that meeting finished second (He Zi).
• That was one of two World Series events held in China, which China failed to win. The other was at Qingdao 2010, when Svetlana Filippova and Anastasia Pozdniakova (RUS) won the women's 3m springboard synchro.
• He Zi has won this event a record 16 times, including on the last two occasions.
• He Zi has also finished on the podium in 21 of the 27 times this event was staged, adding five second places to her 21 wins.
• The other six times, she did not participate. These were the meetings in the first two seasons of the World Series in 2007 and 2008.
• He Zi has also won the women's 3m Springboard Synchro 17 times, making her 33 total wins second to Chen Ruolin's 36 (at the start of the Beijing event).
• If He Zi wins this event, she becomes the first diver to win two different events at least 17 times. Chen Ruolin has won the 10m platform 16 times as well, but she will only participate in the synchro event.
• Non-Chinese women with the most podium places in this event are Italy's Tania Cagnotto (8) and Canada's Jennifer Abel (7). Only He Zi (21) and Wu Minxia (12) have more. Wu is the only one of these four women not participating in Beijing.
• He Zi won two World Series meetings in Beijing (2012 and 2013) and can become the first diver to win three times in this event at a single venue.
Preview Diving Men's 3m Springboard
• This event has been won by a Chinese diver 21 out of 27 times at the World Series. However, Chinese divers have won this event only two of the last five times it was staged at the World Series.
• Only the men's 10m platform synchro has been won by China on fewer occasions (17).
• Qin Kai (CHN) is most successful in this event, having won 11 meetings. He will not participate in this event in Beijing.
• He Chong (CHN) has won this event eight times and can close in on Qin Kai's total as he is the only Chinese participant in this event in Beijing.
• Yahel Castillo (MEX) has three wins in this event and 10 podium places. He has also won the 3m springboard synchro three times and has 10 podium places in that event as well (prior to the meeting in Beijing).
• Castillo's six total wins are the most by a diver not from China. His 20 podium places are equal most among divers from outside China. Paola Espinosa (MEX) and Patrick Hausding (GER) also have registered 20 total podium finishes.
• The Men's 3m Springboard was one of two diving events not won by China at the London 2012 Olympic Games where Ilya Zakharov (RUS) was victorious. The other event was the men's 10m platform, won by David Boudia (USA).