PR 15 - FINA Bureau Meeting in Barcelona (ESP)
Barcelona (ESP), February 23, 2013 – Under the presidency of Dr. Julio C. Maglione, the FINA Bureau met on February 22-23, 2013 in Barcelona (ESP) and decided on the following main topics:
- Affiliation of the 203rd FINA National Member Federation: East Timor;
- Adoption of the 2013-2018 world international calendar of Aquatic competitions;
- Award of the organisation of the FINA Synchro World Trophy 2013 to Mexico;
- Approval of the 2013 calendar, prize money and new scoring system for the FINA Swimming World Cup: for the first time, two meets of the series (Eindhoven, NED, August 7-8 and Berlin, GER, August 10-11) will be held immediately after the conclusion of the FINA World Championships. In October/November, the remaining cities hosting a meet will be Moscow (RUS), Dubai (UAE), Doha (QAT), Singapore (SIN), Tokyo (JPN) and Beijing (CHN);
- Adoption of a Code of Ethics and establishment of an Ethics Panel within the FINA structure. The scope of this Code, as approved by the Bureau is: “This Code shall apply to conduct that damages the integrity and reputation of Aquatics and in particular to illegal, immoral and unethical behaviour. The Code focuses on general conduct within FINA that has little or no connection with action on the field of play”;
- Adoption of a specific Rules of Conduct applicable to bidders for FINA World Championships or FINA World Swimming Championships (25m);
- Finalisation of the changes to the Constitution, General and Facilities rules to be submitted to the FINA General Congress and the modifications of the five aquatic disciplines and Masters rules to be voted at the Technical Congresses to be organised next July in Barcelona (ESP);
- Reconfirmation of the proposal to provide additional value to the Olympic Games’ programme.
With the occasion of its presence in Barcelona, the Bureau met with the Mayor of the city, Mr. Xavier Trias, who confirmed that all necessary measures have been taken to assure an outstanding and successful organisation of the 15th FINA World Championships in the Catalan capital from July 19-August 4, 2013.
The last official act of the Bureau in Barcelona will take place on February 24, 2013 when the draw for the 15th FINA World Championships water polo men’s and women’s tournaments will take place in the TV studios of RTVE and broadcasted live.