PR 77 - FINA BUREAU MEETING
Istanbul (TUR), December 9, 2012 – Under the presidency of Dr. Julio C. Maglione, the FINA Bureau held its meeting today in Istanbul (TUR), where will take place from December 12-16, 2012 the 11th edition of the FINA World Swimming Championships (25m).
The main highlights of the meeting were:
- Presentation of updated reports for the upcoming main FINA competitions: 15th FINA World Championships 2013 in Barcelona (ESP), 12th FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) 2014 in Doha (QAT), and 16th FINA World Championships 2015 in Kazan (RUS). Following the presentation of these reports, FINA expressed its satisfaction for the current status of preparation and transmitted its full confidence to the respective Organising Committees, Cities and National Federations about the successful outcome of these major events;
- In conjunction with Doha 2014, the third edition of the FINA World Aquatics Convention (and the FINA Gold Medal Swimming Coaches Clinic) will take also place. In Kazan 2015, and for the first time in history, the FINA World Masters Championships will be organised together with the FINA World Championships, a solution that allows additional economic impact for the organisers;
- In Open Water Swimming, the Bureau was informed on the progress of the study conducted by the University of Otago (NZL), in co-operation with the IOC and the International Triathlon Union, on the maximum temperature of the water. The conclusions of this thorough study will be available in May 2013, and FINA will closely follow its outcome with the purpose of including the recommendations of this research in its rules and regulations for its open water and marathon swimming events;
- The 17th edition of the FINA World Sports Medicine Congress will take place in Istanbul on December 10-11, prior to the start of the FINA World Swimming Championships (25m). The Bureau congratulated the organisers of this event, both on the level of attendance and on the quality of the lecturers for this seminar;
- On Doping issues, the Bureau was officially informed that all the tests (433 urine and 85 blood analysis) carried out in the five aquatic disciplines at the 2012 Olympic Games were negative;
- The Bureau reviewed the first draft of the new FINA Code of Ethics, whose final version will be approved in the next Bureau Meeting, to be held in Barcelona (ESP) in February 2013;
- The 2014 edition of the FINA Men’s Water Polo World Cup was awarded to the city of Almaty (Kazakhstan Swimming Federation). Moreover, the fourth edition of the FINA World Junior Swimming Championships, to take place in 2013, was re-allocated to the city of Dubai (UAE, dates to be confirmed).