Sports Medicine Congress

My athlete is having a cortisone injection in their knee by the team doctor. What forms should the doctor complete for anti-doping purposes?

This is a good question!  I encourage you to refer to the FINA website ( where you can find the 2007 Prohibited List.  In the section entitled “Substances & Methods Prohibited in-competition” you will find # S9 (Glucocorticosteroids). This point states that “…other routes of administration (intraarticular….) require an Abbreviated Therapeutic Use Exemption…” The abbreviated Therapeutic Use Exemption document can be downloaded from the FINA website and taken by the athlete to the doctor for completion. This completed document should then be forwarded immediately to the FINA office.

Read the full article 'Knee problems in Aquatics'