Olympic Park: Access for pre-Games Elite Athlete Training
Throughout 2011 and early 2012, construction on the London 2012 Olympic Park will come to an end and venues will be handed over to LOCOG in order to prepare for the Games. During this pre-Games phase, LOCOG will be responsible for completing the fit-out, operating and maintaining the venues. Also during this period LOCOG will, where possible, support the use of these venues for elite athlete training.
Located in the Water Park, at Games time the Aquatics Centre will be host to Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming and the Swimming element of the Modern Pentathlon. The Water Park also includes the Water Polo venue.
During the Games, the Water Park will operate as a sub-precinct within the Park, with shared back of house facilities and one dedicated Venue Management Team responsible for the operational management of both venues.
The venue is currently scheduled to be handed over to LOCOG in late 2011. Following handover, there will be a programme of deferred works required to ensure the venue is fit for use. This will limit access to the venue for pre-Games training purposes.
Caveats for Access:
- October/early November 2011: LOCOG will facilitate limited access to the venue, where possible. During this period LOCOG will be installing the cabling, starting blocks, scoreboards. As such, if access is granted during this period there may not be starting blocks available and/or access may only be available to the warm-up pool.
- November 2011 – January 2012: Access will be available for elite athlete training (with exceptions).
- February - 14 March 2012: The venue will be closed to elite athlete training in order to deliver two test events, the FINA Diving World Cup and the British Swimming Championships (50m).
- 15 March 2012 - 8 April 2012: Potential limited access. During this time the synchronised swimming platform will be built and installed to the main pool for the FINA Synchronised Swimming Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in mid-April. Access may be available to the warm-up pool.
- Venue closed from mid April 2012: The Venue will be closed in order for LOCOG to deliver the synchronised swimming test event. Following this test event, the venue will close to elite athlete training in order to allow removal of the environmental curtain and install the remaining temporary seating in preparation for Games time.
Please also note:
- Depending on works, access may only be available to the warm up pool for training.
- Access for elite athlete training will be dependent on current construction works and available access routes to the venue.
- HD lighting will not be available
- The ODA will be testing the temperature of the building once the environmental curtain is in place. The venue may close to elite athlete training for health & safety reasons if the temperature is not suitable.
- Dry land training equipment may not be available for diving due to protection against degradation of equipment.
- No timing devices available for training purposes.
- There will be no access to power supply from TEC rooms
Venue Hire Costs:
Indicative daily Aquatics Centre venue hire fee: £873.00 excluding VAT
This fee is based on one entry and one exit to the Olympic Park for 30 people between 09:00am – 17:00pm, Monday to Friday. Access for training outside this time will incur further costs.
WATER POLO VENUE
The Water Polo venue is also located in the Water Park alongside the Aquatics Centre.
During the Games, the Water Park will operate as a sub-precinct within the Park, with shared back of house facilities.
The Water Polo venue is currently scheduled to be handed over to LOCOG at the end of March 2012. As such, this venue will be closed for elite athlete training.
The Water Polo venue will be closed to elite athlete training.
Following handover of the venue to LOCOG at the end of March 2012, there will be a programme of deferred works and test event bump-in to be undertaken prior to the Water Polo Test Event in early May 2012. Following the test event, the venue will be closed to finalise construction and bump-in prior to Games time.
- -- back to Rio 2016
- London 2012
- Marathon Swimming
- Water Polo
- Synchronised Swimming